- Is now a good time to join the industry?
- What does the SSA do?
- Why join the SSA UK?
- How much does it cost to join?
- Where can I find the latest industry news?
- Where can I find more information on industry suppliers?
- When is the next SSA conference / event?
- Does the SSA operate in Europe?
According to the 2012 Members' Survey, the UK’s self storage industry continues to remain resilient despite the economic slowdown. It is estimated that the number of self storage sites in the UK has grown to approximately 815 primary facilities.
A clear opportunity remains as penetration levels in the UK are only a fraction of those in mature markets such as the US and Australia.
In addition, a key driver to growth is presented by increasing awareness of self storage as well as servicing demand created by socio-economic influences.
The Association's mission is to enhance, promote and support the interests of all those who own, operate and invest in self storage in the UK through raising awareness of self storage and promoting best practice for the benefit of members and their customers. To achieve this, the SSA UK aims to:
- represent the United Kingdom self storage industry, nationally and internationally
- raise industry awareness nationally
- promote industry standards and codes of ethics for the benefit of customers
- promote (and when appropriate defend) the interests of the industry with relevant Government departments, agencies and regulatory bodies
- liaise with Government departments, agencies and regulatory bodies in respect of any relevant issue as may be required, and advise members accordingly
- communicate with existing members, regulatory bodies, the media, financial institutions and the public
- increase membership
- enhance the value of membership whilst continuing to support members
- provide regular, reliable and relevant industry news, statistics and information
The organisation offers a wealth of experience, know-how and operational advice to its members as well as access to detailed expertise on all aspects of the industry from specialist planning and construction advice through to legal, security, IT systems and merchandise.
In addition to advising and supporting members, the SSA UK provides a fantastic opportunity to network with other members and discuss industry trends and opportunities at its conferences, trade shows and other events.
Members, which also include industry suppliers, are also provided with a full membership list, a copy of the Association’s quarterly magazine for each of their centres as well as details of training opportunities and a legal helpline.
There are four types of membership of the Self Storage Association UK:
- Full operator membership open to any UK based operator (subject to membership criteria).
- Associate (provisional) membership for any potential or start-up operator leading on to Full membership.
- Associate (supplier) membership for any institution or company which is, or intends to be a Supplier of goods and/or services to providers and operators of self storage facilities.
- Overseas membership - open to any operator anywhere in the World except the UK.
The SSA UK publishes a quarterly magazine called Self Storage Focus which includes the latest news, features and analysis relating to the SSA UK as well as activities across Europe. Further information on the magazine can be found by clicking here.
Additional member news and developments, as well as back copies of Self Storage Focus, are available in the members section of this website.
Back to Top
The SSA UK carefully selects a list of preferred suppliers that are recommended to members. All suppliers will have agreed to the Association’s Membership Criteria and a list of suppliers is available in the members section of this website. To access the members section, click here. In addition, the SSA UK’s trade shows and conferences are well attended by all areas of the industry – including operators, investors and suppliers.
Back to Top
The 2013 European Conference and Trade Show will take place in the city of London on 14 and 15 October. Members of the SSA UK are entitled to a discount to all of the Association’s events.
Back to Top
The SSA UK is the UK’s trade association and as such acts on behalf of UK operators and businesses. It is however a member of FEDESSA, the Federation of European Self Storage Associations, and represents UK interests at this forum. Further details of FEDESSA can be found by clicking here.
Back to Top