Annual Industry Report
The Self Storage Association UK Annual Industry Report includes data collected from customers currently using self storage and for the sixth year running, the results of a YouGov Survey carried out among the public. All this, combined with our industry data, provides a comprehensive report into the UK self storage industry. Thanks to the team at Cushman & Wakefield for completing the data analysis. Thanks also to all the members who completed the annual survey, without their input we could not produce such a high quality report.
The data from this years report was collected in January and February before the COVID-19 crisis had struck the UK. However, the analysis and commentary was produced after the country had been put into lockdown. The report includes quotes from prominent industry operators on their predictions of the impact of the crisis on the self storage industry. There is also commentary on potential benefits and challenges the crisis will create for the industry.
- Occupancy on current lettable space is 76.2% down from 77.2% last year.
- The UK average net rental rate is £22.82 per square foot per annum
- 91% of customers are satisfied with the service from their self storage provider
- 48% of the public have a good awareness of self storage
- Divorced or separated people are twice as likely to use self storage
- 32% of self storage customers are involved in moving house
- 41% of self storage customers have used self storage previously
- 72% of businesses that use self storage have less than 10 staff
Download the 2020 Annual Industry Report here
You can also access and interrogate all the data with the new online dashboard created by Cushman & Wakefield. This allows you to drill down on all questions based on region and other demographic information.
You can access the dashboard here
Previous reports for comparison can be downloaded here: