Annual Industry Survey
The 2016 UK Annual Survey is the most comprehensive insight into the UK self storage industry ever produced. Combining data from both industry operators and the general public the report details trends in both supply and demand for self storage in the UK. This allows readers to consider not just the performance of the industry historically, but also demand factors influencing the growth of the industry into the future. This document is essential reading for anyone investing, owning, operating or considering entering the self storage industry in the UK.
Thanks to the team at Cushman & Wakefield for completing the data analysis and preparing the final report. Thanks also to all the members who completed the annual survey, without their input we could not produce such a high quality report.
- Average occupancy has increased by 4% to 73% and revenue per square foot has increased by over 5% to £22.15 in the past 12 months.
- 90% of the public have heard of self storage but understanding of the product remains low at around 30%.
- 66% of people surveyed could not name a single self storage brand.
- The cost of self storage remains unknown or underestimated by the majority of the public.
- 71% of business expect to increase prices in 2016.
- Supply has increased by more than 5% to approximately 37.6 million square feet.
- Net rental rates in London are more than twice that in East Midlands and The North