Annual Industry Survey
The Self Storage Association UK Annual Industry Report includes data collected from customers currently using self storage and for the fifth year running, the results of a YouGov Survey carried out among the public. All this, combined with our industry data, provides a comprehensive report into the UK self storage industry.
Thanks to the team at Cushman & Wakefield for completing the data analysis. Thanks also to all the members who completed the annual survey, without their input we could not produce such a high quality report.
- Occupancy on current lettable space increased to 76.1% - up 3% from last year, and the UK average net rental rate increased to £23.08 per square foot per annum.
- Understanding of the product remains low; only 32% of people understood that only they have access to their unit, the same as last year.
- Over 60% of people surveyed could not name a single self storage brand in their local area.
- 68% of self storage users travel 20 minutes or less to their unit.
- Net rental Rates in London are double the level of rates in the East Midlands or the North.
- There are approximately 1,505 self storage sites in the UK offering approximately 44.6 million square feet of space.
- Divorced or seperated people are more than twice as likely to use self storage than single people.
- 71% of self storage customers are 40-69 years old.
- Only 46% of the public have good awareness of self storage.