In this issue:
- Chairman’s Report
- Changes to Workplace Pension Schem
- In 2012 the government introduced auto-enrolment in pensions. This was to encourage workers to start planning and saving for their retirement and to ease the cost burden of an aging population on the government.
- SSA UK
- New Members
- 2018 SSA UK Calendar of Events
- Young Leaders Shine
- As featured in the final Focus edition of 2017, the Young Leaders Group (YLG) has continued to flourish and following the inaugural get-together in Birmingham last September, a further meeting took place in London in December.
- Do you know what benefits you can access?
- n this issue of Focus we are going to take a look at just one of the many benefits of membership – the Business Support Service, available to all our members from Qdos Group.
- Armadillo Self Storage grows its UK portfolio
- Armadillo Self Storage is actively expanding its UK portfolio via the acquisition of existing operators. The Group, which is co-owned by Big Yellow Group PLC and Universal Self Storage Funds Management Pty (an Australian investment fund), has acquired twenty stores since 2014, spanning the length of the country from Dundee to Plymouth, in five different portfolio transactions.
- Viking Self Storage open 2nd facility in Norwich
- Viking Self Storage have expanded and opened their second facility in Norwich on the 22nd January 2018.
- Managing the Family Business
- Family businesses are a key part of the global economy. According to the UK Institute for Family Business, two thirds of UK businesses are family owned - 4.7 million in total, of which over 17,000 are medium and large businesses.
- Storage King’s Million Pound Store
- Storage King has been expanding over the last seven years through acquisitions of high quality freehold self storage companies in good locations across the UK. One such acquisition was Red Self Storage in Dartford, which was purchased by Storage King in December 2011.
- Are you a Manager or a Leader?
- The words ‘manager’ and ‘leader’ are often used in business, and often used interchangeably, however there is a difference between a ‘manager’ and a ‘leader’ – they are actually quite different.
- The new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) will come into effect throughout the EU on 25th May. These new regulations will require self storage operators to change the way they gather, store and use personal data from customers, staff, suppliers and the general public.
- Focus on... Madeline Fahey
- Social Media: Is It Meaningful?
- If we want social media to have a real and tangible effect on its audience and their interactions or buying habits, it first has to be ‘meaningful’. What we mean by this is that in order for it to be used as a platform that benefits your business, it has to have a specific purpose behind it.